- Ph.D. in physical chemistry, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 1981.
- M.S. in physical chemistry, Eastern Illinois University, Charleston, IL 1977.
- B.S. in chemistry, Eastern Illinois University, Charleston, IL 1976.
- Regents' Professor, OSU, 7/11.
- Harrison I. Bartlett Chair, Professor and Chair of Chemistry, OSU, 1/10.
- Visiting Professor, Physical Chemistry 1, Lund University, Lund, Sweden.
- Curators' Professor of Chemistry, Missouri University of Science and Technology,* Rolla, MO, 1994-2009.
- Professor of Chemistry, University of Missouri-Rolla, Rolla, MO, 1990-1993.
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, 06-2009 (UMR).
- Senior Research Investigator, Materials Research Center, 1989-2010 (UMR); Research Investigator, 1986-89 (UMR).
- Visiting Scientist, IBM Almaden Research Center, San Jose, CA, 1992.
- Associate Professor of Chemistry , University of Missouri-Rolla, Rolla, MO, 1986-1990.
- Assistant Professor of Chemistry, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, 1981-1986.
- Research and Teaching Assistant, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 1977-1981.
- Teaching Assistant, Eastern Illinois University, Charleston, IL, 1976-1977.
*Note: The University of Missouri-Rolla became Missouri University of Science and Technology (S&T) on Jan. 1, 2008.
Professional Honors and Affiliations
- Regents' Professorship, OSU, 7/11.
- Special Service Award, Div. Polymer Chem., ACS, 8/10. (More info. and pic.)
- Fellow of the American Chemical Society, 8/09.
- Harrison I. Bartlett Chair, OSU, 1/10.
- Curators' Professorship, UMR, 1/94.
- Distinguished Alumni Award, Eastern Illinois University, 2001.
- Exxon Education Foundation Award, 1994, 1997.
- Alcoa Foundation, Scientific Support Program Award, 1992.
- President (07-08), President-Elect (06-07), Secretary (05-06), Parliamentarian (04-05) - Academic Council and Faculty Senate (UMR and MST)
- Faculty Excellence Award, 1987-88, 88-89, 89-90, 90-91, 92-93 (UMR).
- Research Scholar Award, 1983-84 (Drexel U.).
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Councilor, Polymer Division, ACS, (11-13).
- Councilor, South Central Missouri Section, ACS, (87-89, 90-92, 93-95, 96-98, 99-01, 02-04, 05-07, 08-10).
- Member Council Committee on Nominations and Elections (05-07, 08-10).
- Chair, Divisional Activities Committee, ACS, (2000, 01, 02).
- Society Committee on Publications, Assoc. Member, 1996, Member, 1997-98.
- Member: Divs. of: Colloid and Surface Chemistry; Chemical Technicians; Polymer Chemistry; and Polymeric Materials Science and Engineering).
- Program Chair, Midwest Regional ACS Meeting, Lake of the Ozarks, MO, October 1997.
Division of Polymer Chemistry, Inc. (ACS):
- Vice Chair, 1997; Chair Elect, 1998; Chair, 1999, past-Chair 2000.
- Secretary, 1990-92, 1992-95.
- Assistant Editor, "Polymer Preprints," 1986-1990.
Materials Secretariat (ACS):
- Secretary-General Elect, 1995.
- Secretary General, 1996, 1997.
Editorial Board, "Drexel Polymer Notes", 1986-1990.
Other University of Missouri-Rolla Activities:
- President, Graduate Council, 94-95, 95-96.
- Director, Institute for Applied Chemistry and NMR, 91-present.
- Director, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) Laboratory, 1986-present.
- Co-Director, Friction Materials Laboratory, 1988-1996.